Could you be the next Editor in Chief of Togatus for 2024?
Togatus is the independent student media at the University of Tasmania, by students, for students since 1931. It is a place for radical debate, discussion and dissent on any aspect of the university student experience.
Expressions of Interest are now open for an Editor-in-Chief to lead a collaborative dynamic editorial team, who offer freedom of expression and a fun working environment.
This position provides an excellent career development opportunity in media and communications allowing students experience in production of a publication.
The contract is for a 12-month term, remunerated by a $10,000 honoraria.
10-15 hours per week (variable).
The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the publication including print, online, events, social media and integration with other TUSA publications and UTAS Faculties. They are also responsible for determining and executing Togatus’ content and strategic direction. The Editor-in-Chief is also responsible and held accountable for all content produced both print and online.
The duties of this position include:
- Provide the top authority for Togatus
- Manage a team of editors, contributors, graphic designers, and support staff.
- Delegate sourced content and commissions to contributors.
- Oversee the appointment and training of Togatus editors and support staff.
- Publish at least 2 editions in consultation with the Publishers.
- Ensure all contributors and editors make deadlines, produce a quality publication and consistent content on the Togatus website, within a predetermined budget.
- Ensure that all Togatus projects are up-to-date and functioning to their greatest potential.
- Monitor all Togatus social media.
- Organise and run regular meetings with other team members on a statewide basis, including any relevant stakeholders.
- Be the primary liaison for Togatus with UTAS, the student community, the Publishers, and external organisations.
- Organising Togatus events and promotion.
The candidate must be a currently enrolled student at the University of Tasmania.
The ideal candidate will have excellent organisational, writing, editorial, and communication skills with a passion for student media. They will have experience in media in some respect or demonstrate a good understanding of media. An understanding of business strategy and basic budgeting is beneficial. It is advantageous but not essential that they will have published content with Togatus, and have experience with WordPress, Final Cut Pro, Indesign, Photoshop and various social media content creation.
To submit an expression of interest for this position please forward a current resume with a cover letter addressing eligibility criteria, desirable skills, and experience relative to responsibilities to [email protected] no later than midnight Saturday 14th of October 2023.